About St. Paul’s
Our doors are wide open to people from all backgrounds who wish to join us on our faith journey, as we follow Jesus Christ. Week by week for over 266 years, people from all walks of life have gathered in our building, in joyful celebration of the love of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
St. Paul’s is the oldest building in Halifax and the oldest existing Protestant place of worship in Canada. Founded by proclamation of King George II in 1749, the building was erected in the summer of 1750. On September 2, 1750 the Reverend William Tutty held the first service inside what was, according to Mr. Tutty, “not completely fitted up”. The architectural plans were based on St. Peter’s Church, Vere Street, London which was designed in 1722 by James Gibbs, a pupil of Sir Christopher Wren. The resemblance between the two churches is remarkable despite the addition of St. Paul’s vestibule and steeple, 1812, the side wings, 1868, and the chancel, 1872. The timbers of St. Paul’s were cut in Saco, Maine and shipped to Halifax. Most of the materials including the bricks to line the walls were made locally. Over two and a half centuries later, the original wooden structure remains as sound as the day it was built. Charles Inglis, first overseas Bishop of the Church of England, arrived in 1787 making St. Paul’s his cathedral. Until the construction of a garrison chapel in 1844, St. Paul’s was also the first garrison church in Halifax. For more than 12,000 Sundays worshippers have gathered here to celebrate Christ’s death and resurrection, to read God’s word and to hear it preached from the pulpit, to bring before Him the needs of the world and to offer Him humble thanks for his goodness.
Please join us for any of our weekly services of worship: Sundays 10 am Eucharist with Children’s Programme, Wednesdays 11 am Eucharist, Fridays 9 am Morning Prayer
St. Paul’s Church is a parish of the Diocese of N.S. & P.E.I. (Anglican Church of Canada), a parish rooted in the evangelical tradition.